Monday, January 30, 2012

Tailoring the Shorts... PT 1

Since the rest of the parts will be here soon I figured now would be a good time to start getting the shorts wearable.
IMG_7071

Right now the tops are closed and the bottom of the legs on the back half are closed.
IMG_7070

Top
IMG_7067

Bottom
IMG_7066

Inside View
IMG_7069

Having made a few sets of stormtrooper armor, I've found the best way to trim ABS and polystryrene vacuuformed plastics are by scoring and snapping.
Basically, use a razor to make a line where you want the cut to be.
IMG_7072


Instead of cutting all the way through the plastic, give it a slight bend close the the score line and it will begin to split.
IMG_7075

If you're careful, the splitting will perfectly follow your score line.
IMG_7076

Go slowly so if the split starts to get off course you can correct it without ruining your part.
IMG_7077

The whole piece comes off and you're left with a relatively clean cut which can be sanded and shaped.
IMG_7078






When plastics are vacuuformed, there are chances for thin spots, especially when the mold is tall and the plastic has to pull far to fill all the gaps.

On the shorts there are some very thin spots between the legs and crotch area. This made it very easy to cut. I'm not sure exactly how I will handle this yet. I may reinforce the parts or I may cut them open more and leave them loose. I'll know more when I get the parts and the shorts can be tested with the legs.

IMG_7079


IMG_7080



Now that the top and bottom are open...
IMG_7082

IMG_7081

...it's a good time see how the parts fit together.
IMG_7091

IMG_7088

IMG_7092

IMG_7089

IMG_7090

Testing the fit and looking ridiculous.
IMG_7086

Even with the excess lip around the openings they fit great with room for the belly ribbing and wires.
IMG_7083

Next step... starting the abdominal wiring....
IMG_7102

IMG_7103

Very soon, I'll have some updates of the abs and figure out how I'll be attaching the front and back of the shorts. I have a few ideas now... we'll see if they work....


No comments:

Post a Comment